Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Why Ati-Atihan in Ibajay is Worth-Celebrating


Ati-Atihan in Ibajay may not be known or popular religious festive compared to many. But I must say that it is the most genuine and humbling way of expressing faith. Viva Sr. Sto. Nino!


Last January 24-25, I had a chance to celebrate the Annual Ati-Atihan festival in our province, Aklan. Contrary to what others commonly know, the festive is being celebrated twice in the province:  first is in the province’s capital, Kalibo, and second is in a town named Ibajay.



Since both my parents came from Ibajay (or at least near that), I happen to almost annually celebrate and attend the Ati-Atihan festival (sort of a “Panata”). Fortunately this year, with God’s grace, I was able to celebrate it, and shout-out-loud with praise “Viva Sr. Sto. Nino!”


What I really admire most with Ibajay’s Ati-Atihan celebration is the idea that they were able to preserve the traditional way of expressing faith to Sr. Sto. Nino -- no fancy colors and other stuff, no heavy media exposure, no commercialized programs -- just genuine celebration of thanksgiving and faith. 

































1 comment:

  1. Hello there.

    I chanced upon your blog while I was researching on Annie & Lori (because your flats are gorgeous!), and was pleasantly surprised to know nga Aklanon ka man gali! :o

    Can relate to how Ati-Atihan is worth celebrating, even if it's not as popular as Sinulog or other festivals. I think thats precisely why Ati-Atihan has kept its soul as a tribute to Sto. Nino. Habang gasadsad ako ag nagaoy, I just keep going (as we like to say in Kalibo, Hara Bira!), moving to the beat of the drums, and sustained by my desire to pay homage to the Sto. Nino.

    Thanks for this post on Ati-Atihan, and thanks for your gorgeous flats! :)


    ReplyDelete