Saturday, November 30, 2013

My Own Journey with Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life

It was more than a month since my boyfriend had me this book titled as “Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life” by Wendy Mass. He told me that this book is worth reading and worth a space in my shelf, so nevertheless, my reading adventure about Jeremy Fink’s life began. 

The design cover of the book is simple, yet straight forward. Pretty much describes what the story is all about: Four Keys. Two Friends. One Adventure.
Book Design Cover
At the back of it gives an overview of what the story is all about:
"When Jeremy Fink receives a mysterious box on his thirteenth birthday with the words The Meaning of Life engraved on the lid, he and his best friend Lizzy can’t wait to find out what’s inside. But when he discovers that the box is locked, he and Lizzy set off on an adventure around Manhattan to find they keys to life’s biggest mystery."

Publishers Weekly commends the book (which I also have to firmly agree) with “Soulful… not one to miss”.

The preface of the story was interesting; it makes you wonder and eager to know what the meaning of life is behind that special box. If it could have been written the other way around, it simply would say “this is heck a great story, so don’t dare drop this book and continue reading on”.

Unfortunately, I have to drop the book because of a lot of things to do and continue reading on when there is spare time. That spare time could have actually taken forever if not for flu that made me stay on bed and left with nothing to do, except for reading.

And now, I regretted the fact that I dropped the book without finishing it.

The story was jaw-dropping. I was in a state of shock (positively speaking) and completely speechless when I finished reading it.

I was so astonished, not just with the meaning of life, but with the twists and turns of Jeremy Fink’s journey.  

Wendy Mass is such a genius for thinking and writing it. It could have just simply gone soulful, yet she didn’t just make it like that.

For those who haven’t read the book yet, I don’t want to be a spoiler so I opt not to tell what the whole story is all about. But let me just share some of what I see to be important lessons about life that I got from the book: 

1. Fate

Fate or life itself has its own mystery in bringing us into a place or putting us in a situation where we sometimes cannot simply understand why. But at the end of it, it’s always part of the” plan” so as we can be able to reach into a certain a place or certain situation where we are meant to be.

2. On Getting Something

“The harder something is to acquire, the more satisfying it is when you finally find it”.

3. On Choices and Decisions

"There must be two types of choices. Choices you make that seem harmless but can wind up leading to someone’s father dying, like deciding to have one more cup of coffee that morning so you need to go out and buy more and then you cross the street without looking and make an oncoming car swerve into a telephone pole to avoid hitting you. And the other kind, when you know what you’re doing will lead to something either bad or good” 

“Each choice I made or Lizzy made, was based on who we were or what we wanted. That’s all I ever have to keep doing”.

4. Jeremy Fink’s First Realization

“From the day I realized that love is stronger than death and that people you barely know can amaze you”. 

5. On Livin' life to the fullest 


“Since he was thirteen, my father thought he was going to die when he was forty. He lived his whole life that way. He died a few months before his fortieth birthday”

“We all live as if we are going to live forever. When you know you won’t, life looks different”.  


Of all, my most favorite learning is the meaning of life as shared by Jeremy Fink’s father. But then, I find it a special privilege as a reader so I guess it’s your turn to discover it yourself once you got your own book. :) 

At the end of the book is a reader’s guide which has 10 questions. Good enough for you to ponder on, not just about Jeremy Fink’s journey but also your own journey in this lifetime.

Tonight, I will ponder on to this number one question and hope you ponder on it too:

“The meaning of life is one of the world’s greatest mysteries. Why do you think it is so important to discover it? What do you think the meaning of life is?”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment